Thursday, July 24, 2008

CREEPY-CRAWLY

Just a while ago, I was watching a re-run of a Tom and Jerry cartoon where, in a rare instance of camaraderie, Tom and Jerry together take care of a crawling baby while the parents are away and the oblivious baby-sitter is chatting on the phone (can anybody tell me why all fictional babysitters are like this, be it here, or in Calvin and Hobbes, or elsewhere?).

I just love the fluidity of motion in the Tom and Jerry shorts, and the baby shown in this particular cartoon is one heck of a smooth mover. It just crawls everywhere – over baby-cots, under carpets, through chutes, into mailboxes, around table-legs, and even underneath a sink full of dirty water. And all this in angelic silence (or devilish determination, depending on your point of view) with a beatific smile pasted on its face.

Reminded me of the times when my li’l cat (the elder one) and the copy-kitten (her younger sister) were in their creepy-crawly stages. Every surface was crawl-able, and every object was put-in-the-mouth-able! They were absolutely unstoppable when awake, till they thankfully fell asleep at the end of another exciting (for them) and exhausting (for me) day. Sure gave me a lot of heart-in-the-mouth moments and grey hairs.

4 comments:

Mystic Margarita said...

I did have a couple of nannies while I was working (mil was visiting, else could never leave P alone with one), but thankfully neither was like that. I love Tom and jerry, too. How does copy kitten like school so far? :)

arpita said...

Hi there! and thank you for your kind comments on my last post.

Speaking of crawling, funnily enough my baby never put her knees to the ground and kind of crabby walked on all fours (sure was a comic sight). And when Tom and Jerry happens on the TV screen (6.30pm-7.30pm , Mon to Sat),the world and its affairs cease to exist for my daughter and father, with the former safely ensconced in the latter's lap and guffawing away to glory. Sure is a lovely sight... I on such occassions glue my eyes on the twosome rather then the screen.
Cheerio!

Sukku said...

I like Tom & Jerry...and their pranks...well they show all baby sitters as irresponsible....but it is just in the cartoon world.

Sucharita Sarkar said...

@ MM,
Copy-kitten's lovin'school and gets cranky on weekends without her school-fix. MIL s and moms are too great.

@ Arpita and Sukku,

T & J are the most hilarious cartoons ever-made, aren't they?